Danaher Corporation Legal Counsel, Mexico in United States
Danaher Company Description
Beckman Coulter develops, manufactures and markets products that simplify, automate and innovate complex biomedical testing. Our diagnostic systems, found in hospitals and other critical care settings around the world, produce information used by physicians to diagnose disease, make treatment decisions and monitor patients. Scientists use our life science research instruments to study complex biological problems including causes of disease and potential new therapies or drugs. More than 275,000 Beckman Coulter systems operate in both diagnostics and life sciences laboratories on all seven continents. For 80 years, our products have been making a difference in peoples’ lives by improving the productivity of medical professionals and scientists, supplying critical information for improving patient health and reducing the cost of care. Beckman Coulter offers a broad array of comprehensive, competitive benefit programs that add value to associates' and their families' lives. Whether it's a health care program or paid time off, our programs contribute to life beyond the job. Check out our benefits. We think you'll like what you see. If you believe your education and experience are in line with the position description and qualifications referred to above, and are motivated, energetic, and looking for a new and exciting opportunity, please submit your resume online at the URL below or atwww.beckmancoulter.com.
The Legal Counsel Mexico will be responsible for providing leadership, guidance, direction and assistance in connection with a wide variety of legal, regulatory, compliance and business matters in Mexico for both Beckman Coulter’s Diagnostics business and for the Danaher Diagnostics Platform.
The Legal Counsel, Mexico, will report to Beckman Coulter’s Regional Counsel, Latin America, with strong dotted lines to business leaders in Mexico and Danaher’s General Counsel, Greater Latin America. The successful applicant will need to demonstrate an ability to assess the needs of the business from a legal, compliance and regulatory perspective and work with the relevant business leaders properly to deploy existing or new resources against those needs.
The Legal Counsel, Mexico, will be required to:
- Accountability for devising and managing the strategy, direction and activities of the Mexico legal and compliance function.
- Advise, counsel and provide legal services to Beckman Coulter and the Diagnostics Platform business in Mexico, their goals and challenges and identifying appropriate legal and compliance strategies to facilitate those goals and minimize those challenges.
- Work collaboratively with the leadership, department managers and staff throughout the organization to establish policies and procedures that drive efficient and effective business practices in all forms while ensuring alignment with global and local laws and policies.
- Negotiate, strategize, document commercial transactions, contracts, and other legal arrangements including distribution, dealer and sales agency transactions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of policies and programs relating to anti-corruption and compliant business practices.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with executive leadership and other strategic partners; proactively engage and advise colleagues on the prioritization of risks and to identify, monitor and improve key processes and internal controls.
- Be a critical team member in formulating an appropriate IP strategy for Latin America.
- Develop appropriate approaches to dispute resolution, lawsuits, and arbitrations; provide regular, clear communication of litigation issues and opportunities to the affected business and Beckman Coulter’s Regional Counsel and other legal leaders.
- Constantly emphasize and demonstrate operational excellence and balanced risk taking.
- Work with the compliance team to identify and mitigate compliance risks and develop appropriate countermeasures. Conduct compliance related investigations and implement action plans to remediate identified issues.
- Assist Beckman Coulter with mergers & acquisition, consistent with relevant experience – from due diligence to documentation depending on the situation and background.
- Educate business leadership on the appropriate use and “leverage” of in-house counsel.
- Assist HR colleagues with labor law support.
- Assist Quality and Regulatory Affairs colleagues with regulatory law support.
- Select appropriate outside counsel and work closely with them.
- Work on the smallest and simplest, as well as the most complex, legal matters faced by the company.
* A law degree from a Mexican, Latin American, U.S., Australian and/ or European law school; preferably one recognized for graduating top lawyers and preferably both with common and civil law experience. * Extensive exposure to and success in a dynamic business environment. Five to ten years of practice. * Law firm experience, preferably from an international law firm, or equivalent in-house experience, or a combination of the two. * Substantial responsibility in various areas of law and/or business, especially regulated industries such as healthcare. * Some experience that suggests an ability to hit a ground running function within a complex, matrixed organization is necessary. * Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed, depending on location of residence perhaps as much as 20-30% of time. * Fluency in Spanish and English required. Additional language fluency, especially Portuguese, a strong plus. * Must be an excellent lawyer, able to explain complex legal points to business leaders with varying degrees of sophistication about legal matters; able to take business leaders’ concerns and demands into account in how best to pursue legal strategies. * Intelligent and articulate; nimble and quick-minded; able and willing to engage in debate; unwilling to accept unethical conduct or outcomes that threaten Beckman Coulter. * Business minded. * Ability to balance numerous matters and ‘masters’ while prioritizing same on a day-to-day basis as events require. * Able to command the respect of, and influence, business leaders, and outside counsel across a wide spectrum of experience and sophistication. * Be able to work effectively with lower level employees, yet communicate with effectiveness and polish at the most senior levels. * Tough-minded but able to be flexible when the situation demands it, able to think on feet, ability to engage in searching, critical discussion without personalizing outcomes. * High integrity and ethics in all dealings – internal, external and personal; non-political in conduct, while understanding internal and external political dynamics. * Open to learning, enthused by the day, resilient and with a sense of humor.
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, dental, environmental and applied solutions. Our globally diverse team of 67,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $18.3B in revenue last year. We are ranked #162 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 1,200% over 20 years. At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We’re innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you’ll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.
Organization: Beckman Coulter - Diagnostics
Job Function: Legal
Primary Location: Latin America-Latin America-Mexico
Req ID: BEC010899